Friday, August 28, 2009

'America Libre: Revisited'

Now that I have actually completed reading my copy of America Libre, I would like to give it a re-review. Now, I can honestly say that the review given the book, which set off my initial review, seems opinionated and representative of a lack of understanding. I can not and will not criticize nor question the reviewers experience but based on that review I can say that it is off the mark. I guess in the case of 'America Libre', one has to truly understand the Latino experience in the U.S. to understand and appreciate the work of Raul Ramos Y Sanchez.

I, being of Puerto Rican descent, born and raised in New York and having served in the military, have experienced much of what the main character (Manolo) experienced. One need only take a look at the current events in relation to immigration and english-only bills to relate the story. The Latino experience in America is compelling enough in itself and this book explores and points out several issues that all Latinos share, whether born in the U.S. or not.

I am left with an urge to pick the inner brain workings of Raul in order to get more on the sequel 'El Nuevo Alamo'. Patience, I must have patience!

America Libre:

No comments:

Post a Comment