Friday, May 29, 2009

Cemi Underground's 2009 All-Star Extravaganza


Un orgullo profundo...Hector Lavoe could not have sang those words better and that is exactly how I felt after attending Cemi Underground's 2009 All Star Extravaganza. An evening of music, poetry and comedy with art by Mia Roman Hernandez.

The evenings host, Caridad 'La Bruja' De La Luz, kept everyone on their toes with her coolness. The perfect host for this venue, she performed a piece with Los Pleneros de la 21 that was exuberating with energy. Los Pleneros de la 21 held their own with their bomba and plena performances that had me moving in my seat and several others getting up to dance.

Poetry not withstanding, Jose Angel Figueroa, Maria Aponte and Bobby Gonzalez hit me with their poetry and have made me a new follower.

The comedy...hilarious..El Boogie Down Comedy Show host Arnold Acevedo set it off and Eric Nieves, Marilyn Torres and Cindy Sugarush carried it the rest of the way.

At the end of the night, we took a step back into time, with musica de ayer by Joe Falcon del Grupo Coco Rico. This definitely took me back to a time when I was young and I would visit my abuelita in Puerto Rico. Refreshing.

In closing, my biggest regret of the night was that, in the two years Cemi Underground was in business (officially closed on April 30, 2009), I never paid it a visit. The web page is still up and running so stop in and support Cemi and Luis Cordero for all he has done. Now, I can only look forward, all the more after this extravaganza, to future events such as this. In the words of Papo 'swiggity' Santiago "I wanted to see people that look just like me" and that is exactly what I got to see...talented Latinos.



A photo collection of Cemi Underground By Elena 'Mamarazzi' Marrero


Los Pleneros de la 21

Los Pleneros de la 21 con Caridad "La Bruja" De La Luz

No comments:

Post a Comment