Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Time Management


I have been quite busy lately. Busy enough so that it seems as if time is not on my side. I wonder where is the time going and will I have time to do all the things I would like to do. If you noticed, I just mentioned time three times, not included this fourth mention. Yes, the subject here refers to time. Let's face it, we're in the middle (hopefully closer to the end) of a recession and what better time (again!) than now to get back to basics and improve on our time management skills. Aside from all the social networking and job hunting for the unfortunate, the time is now to organize and manage time wisely.

One of the things that I find to be helpful is the calender feature on my cellphone. We all carry one so why not put it to good use. If you prefer you can always go out and purchase an inexpensive weekly planner. The key word there is weekly. You don't really want to plan too much on a daily basis because you may tend to cram too much into one day. You want to leave room for the inevitable crises, deadline or last minute meeting. You may also want to steer clear of monthly planning unless it's something that can't be change such as a birthday,anniversary other important date. I find the best planning to be on a weekly basis, taking care of the more important tasks early on in the week. Put first things first leaving all those wasteful, unimportant things for times when there is absolutely nothing else (if ever). Each week, select those goals that will help you achieve those things that are really important to you, not just the typical to-do's.

If you would like, feel free to comment and add any ideas or thoughts you may have. I'll leave you with a quote:

Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No comments:

Post a Comment