Saturday, January 2, 2010

Día de los Tres Reyes Magos: A Small Impactful Memory


The fondness of a memory can bring a smile upon ones face. As the holidays come to an end around this part of the world (as Capitalism takes precedence over all), I am reminded of a time when I would travel far away enough from the concrete jungle of New York and make it to the warmth of Puerto Rico. I smile as I think back to a time when I put grass in a box and put that under the bed. A small memory, to say the least, but one that stands out like a picture before me. I can see and understand the significance of the moment now more than ever.
As Three Kings Day (Día de los Tres Reyes Magos) is celebrated, on Jan. 6, in Spain, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Cuba and many other Latin American countries, very little is heard of or celebrated in the U.S. Nonetheless, it is a part of our cultures (Latino) and one that should at least be taught and carried forward into future generations.

A Short History Of Three Kings Day

El Museo del Barrio: Three Kings Day Parade

La Parada de los "Tres Reyes Magos de Brooklyn"

No comments:

Post a Comment